Friday 25 March 2011

Brochure Style

This is a post that I have put together for the style and the overall feel of the brochure that I want to relate to and achieve. This post will help influence me and start to think more creatively about my design and spiral off new ideas and help with my sketchbook work where I can draw up and produce my own styles and practical work.

Tea Stains

I have collected a range of tea stained imagery as I want my brochure to have a similar effect and appearnce to the background throughout as I feel it shows development, time and ageing.




These three images show the colour scheme which I want to apply to my backgrounds and I quite like the markings on them as I feel that these will be great to add my own layers and effects onto the top of them and will work well with my imagery.


- - -




- - -
I found this series of imagery because I thought it was really clever how painted images have been bled into the tea stains. The images are very strong and eye catching and the mottled effect gives and creates strong highlights and shadows which makes the images look life like. I could experiment with the VW Beetle at bleeding it into the paper and use it as a DPS.


I included this image because I like the colour schemes on this paper, I feel I could use the eye dropper tool in Photoshop and use these colours within my designs.


This image shows the different effects and textures that can be achieved by using tea staining techniques. I feel adding texture to my brochure will make it more visually appealing and innovative.

Background Style

Below are images I have found that represent the style of the background that I want to achieve.


This background would be a starting point and would need to have layers applied to it to make it more interesting and effective as a background.


I like the colours and the feel of appearance of this background, I feel this would work and be suitable with experimental typography.


The floral print onto the top of this background made me think about applying a VW Beetle onto the background and using it as a pattern technique.


I really like this grungy background and the colour scheme, I feel that this would work really strongly with an illustration of a VW Beetle which I have edited and maybe imported it into Illustrator and applied a live trace onto the image as I feel this would look visually strong and effective. 

Below are existing brochure designs which show the different Beetles that they have produced over the years and also the styles in which some of the covers have been designed will influence my design style.