Friday 25 March 2011

Block Printing

What is block printing?
'Block printing' or 'woodblock printing' is a method designers and artists use to print text, images or patterns on to textiles, fabrics, paper and many other formats and materials. This method originated in China and is widely used throughout East Asia.

How does it work?
The chosen design of patterns, letters or images are carved into wooden blocks so that the design is chiseled and is raised from off of the wooden block.
The blocks are then coated with a layer of ink and then pressed firmly with even pressure onto the paper, cloth or chosen material, the content will be printed backwards in reverse.


This post is focused on block prinitng, I felt that I should create a post on this because I really like the visaul appearances that can be achieved from using block letters and I want to focus on typography within my brochure as I want this to be one of the main focuses and strong points. I feel that I can use the textures and the styles from these printed typefaces to help show ageing and timeless effects which will reflect the cars and the imagery that I choose to include.





I really like the visual appearance of this piece and I feel the style and colour scheme would be suitable to help influence my brochure page designs.


I included this image because I likes how it relates to camper vans and the fact that they have used a block printing method to produce it as I was thinking that maybe I could design prints relating to the VW's to include and stamp onto my pages in my brochure to create textures.

- - -

- - -
These two images are of block printing letters. I like the grungy appearance that they have on them and the chunky and bold style of the letters. I want my pages to have typefaces that appear in this style as I feel that they will tie in and relate really well with my chosen imagery.

- - -





- - -
These images are of block printing techniques which have been appied to differnt formats and materials. I really like the appearance and the finish of these fabric designs as they look really strong and the texture of the letters are very sophisticated.


The strong and clean leading, typeface and colour scheme pulled me into this design and I felt that I could maybe use this to influence me with my typeface choices towards the end of my brochure where I will show the newer VW's.

- - -



- - -

These three images are from the same designer. I really like this design and how they visually present themselves and create innovative and effective pieces. I love the colour schemes and I feel that they aim their designs at a wide audience.I like the messages that they write on a variety of different products as it engages with the audience and is quite fun and humourous. I like the texture of the letters, the positioning of the words with one another and the variation in character and word size. I feel that I could create similar effects by using block letters or similar techniques to include within the pages of my DPS's, this could be a constant visual element through my brochure and could be a great way to link pages together, move the eye of the audience through the pages and show ageing and time.


This is just an image of what the block letters look like, I like the appearance of how this image looks and I feel that this is quite effective visually and would look interesting on a DPS just left in this state..