Wednesday 25 May 2011

'A Bug's Life' and me

‘A Bug’s Life’ and me

At the beginning of this project, I was undecided as what I wanted to do for my FMP. Originally, I knew I wanted to use InDesign in my FMP as I really enjoyed the ‘Double Page Spread’ project in year one, I also really enjoyed my recent project  ‘Channel X’, as I loved the fact that it was about cars and I really got into the project and the visual graphics aspects of the project. I also have a goal to work for the Top Gear magazine, combining the my two favourite projects together, therefore I felt that designing a car related document would be appropriate for my FMP and mould keep me influenced and motivated throughout.

When I first got into the project and realized the amount of work that was needed with the designing of my book, I lost confidence and motivation in myself and was considering changing the project to something else, but with very little time left, I felt that this would be a mistake. I found my motivation again when I visited the Santa Pod Raceway ‘Big Bang’ show as I was gathering information and imagery on the Beetles, I mainly found my strongest motivator in Volkswagen, as they recently broadcast the launch of their new 2012 Beetle, I felt this would be a great market for launching my book as the publicity from Volkswagen would bring out the Beetle audiences and people will want to see the changes from the older designs through to the current release.

I found some pages in my book really fun to put together and position objects on them as they worked strongly and flowed well from other pages and were suitable for the target audience. I really enjoyed designing the first few opening pages as I feel that they look very elegant and strong and make the book look very professional and attract the target audience into the book. However, I found other pages more complex and difficult to design as there were a lack of high quality images and sufficient information for me to use, I found also that these pages were hard to make them stand out and look different from previous pages, I found that the pages started to blend and merge into similar page layouts and colour schemes.

Overall, I am really happy with my final outcomes, I feel that it looks very sophisticated, reflects the meaning and personality of the Beetle in and throughout my book which the audience will be able to see and relate to, I have ensured that the design of each DPS is strong and appropriate for the target audience and I feel that my content is also suitable for telling the life of the bug, but is also easy for the audience to read without being overpowered with detail.

Chelsea Nelms